[amsat-bb] Re: 10mtr and Galileo

Bill Ress bill at hsmicrowave.com
Mon Sep 11 15:44:12 PDT 2006

Hi Trevor,

Agreed that a terrestrial 1.2 GHz Amateur transmission can cause
interference to Galileo, so will the ground ATC radars and myriad of other
possible signals like the 3rd harmonic of 420 to 433 MHz signals or
harmonics of high power TV transmitters (and the list goes on).

In light of this, Galileo is stated to have the capability to "detect,
isolate and mitigate interference." They have a two year study program
called MAGIC to work the issue of interference
(see galileoju.org).

Also see:

I would guess that the result of the study could provide one of two
conclusions: 1) they can technically handle interference or 2) they can't
and will insist that governments take Amateurs, ATC radars and any other
interferers off the air.

I'm thinking 1) will prevail and we can all rest easy until the next
financially lucrative use of the frequencies comes about.

But your right - we're looking at 4 to 5 years before we'll know what is

Regards...Bill - N6GHz