[amsat-bb] Re: Is TH-D7AG the only widely available full-duplex HT??

Amir's email sarlabs at twcny.rr.com
Fri Oct 20 12:05:52 PDT 2006

Hi John:

I just got my TH-D7AG not so long ago and am VERY happy with it. Definitely
full duplex on satellite (you'll need either headphones, I use an old
personal CD player set with a small Radio Shack converter plug) or external
speakers to avoid feedback. In addition you get a built-in TNC and I started
dabbing around with APRS, including using the PCSAT-1 on NO-44, so that
allowed me to do even satellite APRS. More fun for the money! PCSAT-1 is now
in eclipse though :(

I got mine from HRO. Reliable retailer, prices as good or bad as anywhere
else I believe.

Now the TH-D7AG is not built as solidly as let's say my Yaesu VX-7, which I
like too. I used the latter when I started satellites because that's what I
had. In simplex. I never realized how much duplex is better till I got the
Kenwood. But I've made many contacts with the Yaesu. If funds were not a
problem, then I'd recommend the Kenwood, but just as starter, if another
dual band radio is already available, start with that one.

Amir Findling, 73 de K9CHP, member ARRL, AMSAT #36083
Coordinator, Senior K9 Handler Western NY SearchDogs, Inc.
K9 Certification Tester, NYS Federation of SAR Teams
1st Special Response Group (1SRG) http://www.1srg.org/
Apprentice Tracker, Joel Hardin Professional Tracking Services