[amsat-bb] Dissertation Survey - low cost autonomous sat tracking

Marc Vermeersch amvm at skynet.be
Mon Dec 11 09:48:14 PST 2006

Hi All,

I am an MSc. student starting work on my final dissertation. My dissertation
topic is: "A low cost autonomous satellite tracking system". The intention
is to build a tracking system with roughly the following specifications:

-         PC independent

-         microcontroller based

-         (car) battery powered

-         SGP/SDP tracking algorithms

-         Time and position acquisition possible via serial port from GPS

-         Transceiver control over serial port

-         Tracking HW control loop for Azimuth and Elevation

-         Ethernet connection to acquire TLE's - the idea here is to collect
TLE's and store them for later mobile/portable use.

To complete my understanding on what is out there I have the following

Which PC based tracking SW are you using?

Which non-PC based tracking SW are you using?

Which PC connected tracking HW are you using?

Which non-PC connected tracking SW/HW are you using?

Are the above specifications sufficient? What else would you suggest?

Thanks for all and any input,

Best 73

Amsat LM2304